Water – The Elixir
Thousands have lived without Love,
Not one without Water. ~ W.H. Auden
Water is clear, pristine, calm, cooling, tender, beautiful, majestic, the universal cleanser….no matter how much we write about it, there will always be abundant more to say. It is the substance that can create and destroy that is the creator and the destroyer.
There is nothing more calmer and serene than water. When my thoughts are wild and arid and my peace disturbed, there is no better solace than a spot next to a gushing waterfall, wild waves of the sea, topsy-turvy river; what an irony of nature. Humans and water have an unsaid connection, like a mother’s touch.
We should spend some time understanding this life force. Like for example, knowledge that human body is made of 70% water, will help us maintain a good balance of its spends and gains.
8 facts about water for healthy living:
- Fitness – good hydration means getting the right amount of water before, during and after the workout. It helps in regulating body temperature, lubricating joints and transporting nutrients for energy. When there is lack of water in your body, it can lead to heat exhaustion, stroke and muscle cramping. Dehydration is the worst enemy of an athlete. Always be hydrated to avoid injuries, leading to reduced performance.
- Petrichor – meaning of this term is the earthy scent which is produced when rain falls on dry soil. Our noses can discern millions of different fragrances, however attachment to petrichor is one of those pristine memories we are born with. Although many of us are not farmers, we feel deeply nostalgic, just like our ancestors in the past. When the scent of petrichor emanates from the grounds during the first rain showers, it is the sign of good harvest. Next time it rains, take a moment to stop and smell the chemistry, that provides peace and tranquillity to your senses.
- Health – water is the elixir for your good health. Few of its benefits are: it helps create saliva, excretion of body waste, improving metabolism and enriching you skin. These were just a few examples, but it can’t be stressed enough that water is an essential part of a healthy body and calm mind.
- Life force – though it is very obvious, but water creates life. It helps us preserve our pets and plants, that are essential for our well being and happiness. Even a small fixture which has water flowing through it can elevate your living space. Many realised gurus from India suggest that one should meditate close to a water body, for better focus.
- Weight loss – if you are on a journey to lose weight, start with consuming 7-8 glasses of water everyday. It is 100% calorie-free, helps you burn more calories per minute and can also suppress extra appetite.
- Mental well-being – it is a common observation that after drinking a glass of water, we feel relaxed and are able to think clearly. Reason for this is that human brain is made of about 75% water. Even a mild dehydration can cause headache, stress and dizziness, due to lower blood flow to the brain.
If you struggle with mood disorder, anxiety or depression, increase your water intake. Start with a glass or two in the morning and 2-3 glasses between meals. Carry a water bottle everywhere you go, for happier, brighter and pleasant days.
- Cleanser – if you are feeling low on energy, anxious or stressed, take a shower. We are majorly made of water, hence our cells react positively to its flow on our body. It cleans, cools, relaxes and charges our cellular structure, driving away negativity. Scientifically when the water falls on your temple, it stimulates the flow of blood in brain which releases tension.
Your body is an integration of life flow, tension or pain is felt when the flow is blocked, water helps to release it. Hence shower daily for a clean body and good mood.
- Food – everything we consume has a percentage of water in it and the knowledge of the same can elevate your living experience. For example watermelon is 90% water – very good for you in summers. Almonds contain only 3-6%, hence they are rich in fibre. Alcohol may have some percentage of water, but can leave you dehydrated. Therefore the right knowledge of food can improve your body functions and help you perform better in day-to-day tasks.
Water is such an important aspect in our lives, that corporate giants like Google & Apple have launched apps to track our daily consumption and motivate us to hydrate regularly. It is a soothing balm for your brain, a health supplement for your body and an elixir for anti ageing. Understand your body’s requirement for water, to lead a healthy, happy and a peaceful life.
Save Water Save Life!